Monday, September 18, 2006

Hand, foot and WHAT?!?!?

Good Morning World.....and Hello another interesting day!

Well, my daughter has decided she wants to see how far mommy can stretch herself. I think she is going to be one of those "motivational" speaker/people......ha .. ha. Like at boot camp....that push you to your limits.

*rolls her eyes*

You see, she caught hand, foot and mouth disease.

It was going around at Sammy's school a couple of weeks ago......

Sammy never caught it.

McKayla did.

How?!?

One of life's great mysteries! LOL

Anyway...my poor little darling had her mom scared out of her mind. You see.....I have never had the "pleasure" of reading a thermometer that said anything higher that 101.8.

Well this past week and weekend......

I thought she was dying.

I took her temp on Thurs of last week (she had been running a cold since mon) and it registered at 104.6.

104.6?!?!?!?

I don't think I MYSELF have ever had a temp that high.......let alone my baby girl!

So I tried not to panic and called Kaiser. They could see her immedietly. So I took her in and Dr Meyers looked her over.

Yup.....high temp...

Yup.....chest congestion

Yup...dirty ears (small and hairy he called them....not my little GIRLS!! must be after her fathers side LOL)

Yup....sores in the back of her throat.

Yup...energy levels is GONE.

Yup....she is a cling-on (meaning I can't even pee without her on my lap)

and...

Nope...there was nothing that could be done.

He said it was a virus...either flu...or something else. It was going around the island. However...if she wasn't better by Sat....bring her back in.....It could be a bladder infection as well. And they would run a catheter (sp?) and do bloodwork.

Saturday comes.

Temp: 104.3

Call to kaiser. they say "bring her in" We go.

See a different dr. He reviews everything. looks in her throat. Asks me questions about her appetite, energy, and sleep.

All of which are non-exsistant at this point. (sleep the most)

He says "It's hand, foot and mouth.....but what is weird is normally kids dont get it until they are 1"

Good news: No blood work...and no catheter.

My daughter.....

*shakes her head*

So here we are.....Monday.

tired.

worn.

sapped.

getting by.

But she is doing MUCH better!!!

Temp is gone. (Thank God!!)

I had to piggy back meds....4ml of motrin....2 hours later, tylenol....2 hours later motrin...etc.....

It seems to be working.

My daughter is slowly becoming her old self again!



Other than that......Brad is well....Sammy is well....

The Steeler's are on tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!

Life is getting better! :)

6 comments:

  1. My goodness! Poor girl, poor mama! I hope she is on the mend soon! hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry Kristi Ann. I am so happy she is on the mend! How scary about the high temp.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sammy carried it home even though he did not get it. You can be a carrier without getting it. Does he put his fingers in her mouth?? I know ZBig Z liked to do that to Little Z for awhile. Anyway... that is most likely what happened.

    And the Steeler game was not very good.... what was wrong tonight???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristi Ann,

    I am so sorry your little girl had to go through that... and you too. How terrified you must have been. Poor baby! I am glad she is starting to feel better! Sending well wishes!!! and glad the boys are okay!

    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Been there done that 2 years ago!! Actually Sammy has probably been exposed to it in the past, once exposed they won't get it again. When we had it here Dave got it, Salvatore, Kaelynn, Dominic, and Victor (Dave's uncle) Charlina (Dave's cousin) Uh yeah. So it was NO FUN. I had to quit daycare for 2 weeks ya know since 2 of the 6 kids got it. I was SO EMBARRASSED!!

    That was also when I had to put Dominic into a toddler bed because he kept throwing himself out and onto the floor because all he would do was scream and cry that week.

    Also I may just mention that kids can get this from water parks, Burger King play tunnels. We're sure ours came from one of those 2 sources although I still can't wonder if I forgot to wash my hands between diaper changes or one of the kids touched their privates during a diaper change and caused all of that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous2:54 PM

    I hope she is on the mend and you are getting some much needed rest!

    ReplyDelete