Monday, August 14, 2006

Can I get a THIRD opinion???.......

o.k.

*BIG sigh*

I am getting very tired of this.

Wait...I better stop there .....

and WARN EVERYONE: This is a pretty long vent/pity party post...DO NOT READ if you don't want to hear me go on about how mad I am.

O.k Let's try this again...

Grrr.....

I took McKayla to her 9 month appt on Friday.
*yay*

She had lost some weight *boo* and was at

drum roll please....

18.1 Lbs....and 29 inches long. Her head...17 and a half.

ACTION: Scene I

In walks the Dr. ( actually a RN, I had remembered her from when I was nursing...she was the lactation consultant.)

I didnt like her then

1st clue.

Anyway...she starts asking me questions...

"What kind of solids is she eating?"

me: "well, ummmm...she actually prefers to nurse...I have tried baby food, and she will eat about 1/3 of a size 2 jar. I have even tried cheerios and things like that...she chokes"

"huh? *enter stupid look directed at me *..... she isnt eating table foods?"

me: frantically looking at DH " ummmm she wants to...but she chokes and throws up....so I try to practice with her at least once a day with SOMETHING"

"really? *enter another stupid look directed at me* She SHOULD be eating 2 palm sized amounts of table foods a day *holds out her palm, like I dont know what it is, and circles it*... like THIS. "

me: " Well I do try to get her to eat...she does do good with lo mein noodles if they are really small..."

"Well...what does she have for dinner?"

me: " She eats about 1/3 of a jar of baby food before she shuts her mouth tight..or gags."

"Baby food as in those dinner meals right?"

me: "huh"

"what kind of meat does she eat?"

me: "huh?" meat? uhhh none"

"You mean she ISNT eating those dinner meals they make for kids. You know...the little entree ones?!"

me: looks at dh " ummmmm no" *small voice* "why? should she be?"

"Of course! She needs her iron."

CUT: OK insert thought here: You would think..her being a lactation consultant...that she would KNOW that a child can get all the nutrients it needs the 1st year of life from it's mothers milk!...now HELLO....I am not saying that I shouldnt be practicing with her to get her used to different textures and tastes....and I AM...I DID mention that.......but for her to make me feel like such a HORRIBLE mom (and it was her tone and her eyes) because she wasnt eating a lot of solid foods .

My conflict: Had the appt last mon for her pneumonia with Dr Meyers who had asked the same question about her appetite and what she was eating. I told him, and even expressed a concern/question about her diet and weather she should be nursing so much instead of eating solids.
He snorted.
Actually SNORTED.....and said what i said above about mothers milk. He said she will go at her own pace and not to worry about it.

Action!!!! Part II

Clue #2

me: "Does she get any shots for her 9 months?"

"ahhhhh....nope...just a TB test...can someone come back mon to have it checked?"

me: "sure...I can do it"

"o.k make sure you come in..there is a $29 retest fee"

me: "k...ummm...since she is on antibiotics and the supressent and decongestant...that isnt going to interfer with the shot will it???"

*enter TOTALLY stupid and flabbergasted look directed at me* "Now thats a strange question"......*laughs* (like I'm so stupid for asking such a DUMB question)

me: (small voice...laughing kinda nervous ...kinda pissed. ever do that?) "Well...i just wanted to be safe...you never know"

" *still laughing* Thats the 1st time Ive ever been asked that! And your answer is No....there wont be a reaction from the antibiotics"

CUT: O.k...now was I stupid in asking that? Cause if I was...then PLEASE let me know...I dont want to request NEVER to see this woman..if I was dumb in asking it.

Action: Scene III

Clue #3

me: " ummm..I had another quick...maybe dumb question for you." (future reference...NEVER start a conversation off this way)

" what?"

me: " Well...I've noticed lately that her shee shee has been smelling VERY weird."

*confused look* "hmmmmm"

me: "I was wondering if it was from the medicines and maybe that's why it stunk so bad or if it could be something else"

"well duuhhh (yes she actually said "duuuhhhh) havent you ever smelled the amoxocillian when you open it up to give it to her?!"

me: " Well...no, not really...and all I smell is bubble gum"

"well, yeah...and then after that there is a lingering odor..... that what makes her pee stink...go ahead stick your nose in it when you get home, any more "fingers bent in quotes" "questions"

me: "uhhh...no...I just wanted to make sure it wasnt a sign of a urinary tract infection, bladder , kidney ect..."

CUT:

*shakes her head*

By this time DH is like WTHang? We both walk out of there like ... what just happened?!

So...Is Dr Meyers right and I just let her eat when she wants...or is Nurse Kawasaki right...and I force her to eat?????????

Sammy was so easy....he was already eating table foods and nursing. She has SUCH a temprement!! I swear. It's like the red headed step child! LOL

gotta go rescue her from getting her hand stuck under the coffee table! :)

TTFN! And thanks for any advice or opinions you have to offer~~~

5 comments:

  1. You had the pyscho nurse from hell!!! I would have asked about the TB test too. You are not supposed to have those things done when you are sick!!!!!! So, you really don't see the doctor for check ups??? All our RN does is take information and give the shots. All questions and other information goes to the doctor! We see her every time we go in! If I was told that I was to just see Paula (our nurse) I would be ok with that at this point in time, but I have been seeing her since Big Z was born and I know she is very good and knows what she is doing!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please find a new place to take you sweet children! :) Oh, and DO NOT force feed her!!!!! Talk about making her hate to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a day at the park! My goodness that nurse sucks!

    Forcing McKayla to eat doesn't sound like the right thing to do! I know my parents forced my older sister to eat and she is such a picky eater now. They did the opposite with me and let me eat whatever I wanted (happened to be Froot Loops and milk) (I'm the youngest and had them wrapped around my finger) and now I'm the most adventurous with my eating.

    I hope Jess posts a comment...I bet she'll have some insight for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, duh? WTF kinda nurse says that to someone?? You need to call administration and file a complaint in my opinion. I had a step in DR for Alex once and he flat pissed me off by being sarcastic and rude so I did on him. He's not there anymore, he resigned. Aw darn. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristi Ann, I am so sorry you had such an awful experience. I would have been furious if a medical professional at Ella's Dr.'s office was that condescending and rude. I would definitely call and COMPLAIN!

    Based on the bit I know about nursing, it can be a complete diet for baby for the first year. Aren't solid foods supposed to be just for experimentation and to get them used to textures? I think if she prefers to nurse then just let her have at it. I have a girlfriend who chooses to delay solids until a year and just demand breastfeeds, and her kids seem healthy.

    I also got in trouble for not giving Ella iron fortified baby foods at her one year check up. Thankfully her levels came back fine but I was surprised how much they push the iron cereals and such.

    I hope you can find a new pedi for your kids and I really hope you get answers for McKayla's swallowing. I hope it is just as simple as she isn't ready, which is probably all it is. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! What a crazy lazy nurse! I would just forget about her and do what you know is right. Keep trying to give her some solids and keep nursing! No biggie.. :-) Don't stress about it.. she is obviously not undernourished! And... I mean seriously.. the american curve of weight is probably a little biased.. most of our children here are overweight so our standard charts aren't probably as accurate as they should be.

    ReplyDelete