Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Update:

Bug's first day of school went o.k.

I went to pick him up from school (I only do this on his 1st day) and I ran into his teacher. She said that he had a great morning but shut down after lunch....refusing to participate in Music and Math.

huh???.....not really knowing what to say and actually kind of shocked by the whole thing, I say to her, that he may need about a week to adjust to going back to school......

we get home and Bug and I talk about it.

I also get a note in his take home folder saying..

"Samuel would not participate in music this afternoon. That carried over into math. The first part of the day was great though."

He says he doesnt want to go to 1st grade anymore (what?!?!)......and that he wants to stay home with me. (nice try dude)...

After talking for 20 minutes about his day...

I figure out it could be one of 2 things.....he shut down because either...

1.) He was scolded/corrected by his new teacher, and Bug being as sensitive as he is, gets VERY upset if he is reprimanded for anything...ESPECIALLY by people he isnt familiar with.

OR

2.) He saw his best friend Nicholas on the playground after lunch, and figured out that they werent in the same 1st grade class (oh the horror!)....

Either way, we talked about how important it was for him to be in school, and how I would ALWAYS be home waiting for him to get off the bus...no MATTER WHAT! We also talked about how when HE has a bad day at school, does he think it makes ME want to go and do something fun with him? And what kind of affect it has on me and Daddy. He understood and said he would try harder Tues.

And he came back with this note on Tues:

"Great day today!! Samuel was right on track today! BIG improvment."

YAY!!!!!!!!!!! (:P)

I WAS a tad worried....but I think it is just an adjustment he needs to make...after all...

I KNOW I am wonderful to be around 24/7.....but son.......you HAVE to go to school! :)

5 comments:

  1. I thank my lucky stars that my 1st grade son has the best mother in the world... Miss you baby, cant wait to see you friday!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww!! NICE JOB SAMMY WAY TO MAKE GOOD CHOICES!! Aunt Tera is so proud of you, your getting to be such a big boy!! Keep up the good work and maybe we'll send you something special in the mail! miss you!! Love Aunt Tera, kaleb ava and abby

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. The comment above was from Daddy.....(thanks Bradley!)
    and WE cant wait to see YOU tomorrow!
    xoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad it's going better for him now after your chat. A few moms and I were just discussing this on BBC the other day. I've been lucky with Alex but I know eventually Dominic will probably start dreading school for some reason. I think it probably happens one time or another to most parents!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that comment by daddy made my heart melt!!

    ReplyDelete