Monday, January 15, 2007

105.2

That was McKayla's temperature yesterday!

I thought you died at that temp.

Apparently not...thank God!

It started friday night with a slight fever of 101.5. She had been pretty cranky all day, so I knew she was either teething or coming down with something.

Then Sat, we went to the commissary to do our shopping (spent $220...holy moly!) Made homemade beef stew in the crock pot and homemade bread in the bread maker! (both turned out SOOO yummy!) Spent the day around the house...laying low so the kids could get better (Sammy has been battling a cough from before Christmas).

On Sun (yest) we decided to do pretty much the same thing. Low key day. But as I went to lay with McKayla for our afternoon nap, she was ON FIRE.

Brad got her thermometer and I took her temp. Sure enough it ws 104.6 . I waited about a half hour, to see if the tylenol helped or if it went up.

It went up.

It was now 105.2

*enter slight panic mode here*

I called Kaiser Advice line. They told me to take her in to Urgent Care. She was soooo hot, and she was panting, like she couldn't get a breath in.

Brad started running around (almost like when I went into labor) and getting all worried and worked up.

We arrived at Urgent care. I knew that there would be nothing really they could do for her....which is one of the reasons I waited to take her in.

The POOR THING!

They tortured her.

1st with an oxegyn reading machine (they tape this tab thingy to your toe and it monitors your heart rate and oxegyn level) which she HATED. But the nurse got a kick out of her answering her back. She was so tickled. She asked Kayla...you dont like this? and Kayla would shake her head "no". Then she would ask her if she wanted it off her toe. Kayla would shake her head "yes". She said "you dont like it do you?" and Kayla again shook her head "no". All while screaming and trying to shake it off.

Next they put us in the room. The dr comes in, wants her undressed.......hello? It is SOOO cold in there and she is burning up.....how smart is that?

But I had to do it. SO they weighed her. 21 Lbs.

Check her ears...can't see anything. Too much crud, and too small ear drums.

The Dr. is concerned since all she has is a HIGH fever, and no other symptoms. He orders chest x-rays.

Have I mentioned how much I HATE these things. You would think in this day and age they would have a better way for doing these. For those of you LUCKY enough to have avoided the experience....let me enlighten you. They have the baby put their legs through this saddle looking thing. Then you have to stand there and pin their arms up against their head so the nurse/dr can wrap these 2 plastic sides around her middle...locking her into place. Then you have to stand there (holding their hands up) while the dr/nurse takes their time getting the slide ready ...and then taking the picture. **Meanwhile your child is screaming bloody murder and looking at you with such despair in their eyes wondering why you are standing there allowing this. (talk about pure torture for ME) **

Well, when they couldn't get a good side shot and wanted to put her in it again...I had had enough. I went and got Brad. Totally thinking I could sneak out and take a 5 minute breather (she had been screaming for about 45 min at this point).

WRONG.

Brad wouldn't let me leave. When I mentioned stepping out...he looked all panicked and said "but baby you cant leave her...she needs to see you".

damn.

So 20 minutes later and a VERY upset McKayla, Mommy, and Daddy...we got them done right.

only to show nothing.

Then the Dr. decided he wants to clean her ears.

huh?

This child has been through enough.

So I pin her down while they squirt water into her ears to rinse them out. (and rule out an ear infection)

McKayla is still screaming at this point. She is PISSED.

The dr says thats better than lethargic.

yeah right.....I wanted to punch him.

Next they did a mouth swab...to rull out flu.

Nope. not the flu.

Well, he says, we can run a catheter to get a urine sample to see if she has a bladder or urinary tract infection. But that normally has other symptoms like vomiting or less urine in the diaper. None of which she has had up to this point.

I decline

Hasnt the child been through enough?

Well, he says again, there is nothing more we can do.

They give her a tylenol suppository **poor thing**, and tell me I can go home but to come back if it isnt better by tommorow (today).

I am livid.

I KNOW it's not his fault, and in all fairness he DID try and find out what was wrong...but,,,,,

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

I KNEW this would happen and I could have prevented 3 hours of stress on her AND on us.

But like Brad pointed out....isnt it better that they DIDNT find anything wrong?

well, yes.....but geesh!~

Anyway...she is doing better today. Still running a fever. (though its only gotten as high as 102 today)...Still cranky. But at least she seems to be o.k

SO......anyway....all mommies out there....DON'T Panic if you get a temp that high.....but DO take them in. They said anything over 105 needs to be evaluated. Better safe than sorry.

seriously....

I always thought you would be dead...or at the very least in a coma.

Learn something new every day!~

HAPPY MARTIN LUTHER KING DAY!~

Update: McKayla developed some kind of splotches all over her neck and part of the way up her face. So I called Kaiser and spoke with Dr. Meyers (a.k.a Ben Stein)...because her temp had also gone up at this point to 103.8. I explained everything to him (about the Urgent care visit and what the dr. there had said) ...and then I explained what she had developed since then. He immedietly said it may be a common childhood illness called rosolio (not sure if thats the rigth spelling). He went on to explain that ALL children get it before they are 2, and it is most noticable (but not always) by a high unexplained fever,and splotches on face and neck. HELLO! Thats EXACTLY what it seemed she had! *whew* He said it wasn't serious at all, and it would go away on it's own. However if she changed any of her 3 A's (appetite, attitude, and awareness) then I should bring her in to the Urgent care. He would be working there tonight. SO....hopefully it is all she has and it will go away soon. I'll keep you updated.

6 comments:

  1. Kristi- OMG! I can't believe it got that high!!! I would not have even called the doc, I would have been going straight to the ER! I am glad that there was nothing seriously wrong, but sorry you had to go through so much!!!! And I am glad to hear that the fever is down today. I will be thinking about you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. URGH, KristiAnn! I'm sorry, I'm glad she is improving. McKenna had a high fever two weeks ago, 104.6, but luckily a cool bath and tylenol brought it down some. They never found anything wrong with her the next day at the dr, and she really never had any other symptoms. Crazy! Hope life is settling down a bit now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG!!! Not more symptoms to worry about! I am glad you got some answers from the doc this time without having to go in! Thank goodness it is not serious! I will try to call you today once I know it is a decent time there! Thinking about you girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:20 PM

    Hi there. What a nightmare! Haley had Roseola. Her cheeks were BRIGHT red and she had a really high fever and was vomiting. Suppositories are the only thing that would bring her fever down. Also, a couple days after her fever broke she got this nasty look rash on her body but it didn't bother her. Ugh, she was miserable and so was I. Her fever was in the 104's. I hope your little one is feeling better. The good news is, once they have it they don't get it again (according to my doc anyways.)

    Hugs,
    Deanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:03 PM

    I'm glad McKayla's fever is doing better now at least! Adeline had a fever over 105 when she was about a year old - freaked us out. It's at 106 that you start to lose consciousness and can die. Hope you're doing better now too, just saw that you had pneumonia!! Your poor family has sure had a tough time with sickness lately!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! I am sorry you had to put her through that! They did all those same things to Jasmine the other day at the Urgent Care..come to find out.. all tests were negative.. they actually catherized her too to check for a UTI. POOR MCKAYLA! AND POOR YOU..but I am glad everything is okay now.

    ReplyDelete