Saturday, January 20, 2007

One small step for most....~

One GIANT miracle for Mommy!!~~ (right Becca? ...oh wait...read on..you'll see what I mean, and I'm sure after all the emails back and forth and what not, you may agree!)

Yay!~!!~~!!~~!!~!~!~!~!

**does the cabbage patch, and the happy dance running man**

Can you tell how excited I am??

I am literally grinning from ear to ear .

My chest is puffed out (in the proud mommy way, of course lol)

I just keep shaking my head wondering why it took me so darn long.

Are you curious yet?

Well.....

wait no longer...

because...

McKayla slept in her crib!!!!!!!

I know...I know *shakes her head*

It is something that is LONG overdue...her being 14 months and all.


And most would say I am a "horrible" mommy for even getting her into the habit of sleeping with me to begin with. Poo to you! lol I don't regret AT ALL all the wonderful snuggles I got for the past year from her, the small sighs, her hand on my neck, or as she pats my back as she likes me to do for her. Those memories I'll cherish!

I WON'T miss the kicks in the stomach waking me up suddenly, or the whimper every 2 hours so she could nurse. ah well.

the good with the bad they say!~

Anyway..

We bought a bunkbed, and once we get her used to the crib we will move her to the bottom bunk (sammy has the top claimed already lol)

but whoa whoa whoa... hold up...I'm getting WAY ahead of myself here.

After all it has only been 2 days.

The night before last I was exhausted from my hospital trip and needing some time to just be.

So I nursed her, and then put her in the crib to fall asleep on her own!

She cried for about 5 minutes....

and then

WELLA

silence.

blessed silence.

Brad must have asked me a million times if I wanted to go check on her.....and I told him...if he was SO concerned to get his butt up and check on her himself! *rolls her eyes*

Of course he didn't.

So after about 15 minutes of silence I got up and peeked in the room.

She was SOUND ASLEEP!

***insert harps playing and angels singing****

A true miracle in the making. (hey, this is from a girl that used to require me and my boob for about 45 min EACH night to put her to sleep...and then she would wake up an hour later to nurse BACK to sleep again (in my bed)...and then 2 hours later...and so on....so...honey...miracle it IS!)

Plus the crib was used for storage (laundry etc...hehehehe)

So I would FINALLY have some space AND be able to sleep in some other position, other than on my side (OUCH) with my boob stuck in her mouth. (sorry men for that.. :^O )

Well......kinda...now daddy could move back in. (hahahaha)...


of course HE doesnt think it's funny.

He has been complaining about having to sleep out in the living room. (we move a full size mattress in and out every morning and night so he can sleep in peace since McKayla USED to get up every 2 hours to nurse.) And I don't blame him!

*fingers crossed*

Hopefully.... we have started a pattern.

Tonight I stuck her in there after her bath and telling her it was time for "night-night" and singing "Twinkle twinkle little star" I firmly put her in the crib, said I love you and walked out shutting the door.

She cried for about 10 minutes this time. But the results were the same.

AND

she seems to sleep longer by herself, and NOT waking up to nurse. (amen!)

So....my friends.

the time to wean has come upon us.

I think it is harder on me. My little girl is growing up SO fast!

*sniffle sniffle*

but.....

I SURE AM PROUD!

How do you put your little ones to sleep at night? singing? just putting them in there? reading? Any advice would be appreciated!!~~~

TTFN!~


Update: We are on day 3...and I again put her in the crib after a bath and a song. She cried for about 10 min again and was out. She did get up a few times, but put herself back to sleep!!!!!!! Around 3 she really wanted to nurse so I went ahead and got her out, did it and we both fell asleep before I could move her back. But PROGRESS is being made and DARN it feels good!~

4 comments:

  1. WOOOO HOOOOO Way to go! I hope this trend stays!

    As for Adam and his bed time routine, this is what I do.

    Dinner, Bath, PJ's, play time. Then around 8pm I warm up his bottle, get a pillow and a receiving blanket and sit in the one chair in the living room. Adam will start to wimper when he sees me sitting there and will crawl up on my lap. I give him a bottle and snuggle him close. When he's done he gets kisses from mommy and daddy and we go into his room. I turn on his crib toy that plays classical music and has a light show. At this point Ad will usually lean over to go into his bed. He'll pop a soother in his mouth and one in his hands. I tell him night night and close the door. He'll play around in there listening to his music and kicking his feet for 5 to 40 minutes LOL then he's out for the count.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Alaina didn't start sleeping in her own bed..till Ava came..lol.. well she did when I asked but that wasnt too often.. good for you.. I think Ava will continue to sleep with me till or when/if we ever have another one. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. YYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYY! I am SO excited for you!!!!!! We read a few books after jammies are on and then into bed he goes.

    I hope the progress continues!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is great news Kristi Ann! I think it is wonderful that you all had a successful co-sleeping arrangement for so long. I loved co-sleeping with Ella even though I was determined not to do it! It just felt natural and right. I can also remember the first nights of success back in November when she finally started getting the hang of sleeping on her own!

    I blogged about my co-sleeping experiences a long time ago. I think I labled the post "Sleep Magic". It is such a beautiful experience and so nurturing for both mom and baby!

    ReplyDelete