Saturday, February 11, 2006

ROTD: HUG KIDS A LITTLE TIGHTER

Boy...there is nothing like a reminder to how precious our kids are! I know I have been pretty....how shall we say....self absorbed in my pity party. And I swear the Lord works in mysterious ways...

Today started out great...sammy had spent the night with Popo and Papa..so last night was great with DH. We watched "A lot like love" with Ashton Kutcher....it was cuter than i thought it was going to be! Brad and I both enjoyed it. Anyway...this morning Sammy had a dentist appt (his 2nd one) for his 3 year..so we walked over (it was only 2 blocks away)...well Sammy DID NOT like the dentist this time! Last time he was a total angel, and let the dentist do whatever he wanted. THIS time....he refused to sit in the chair right off the bat *insert frustrated mom here*..so I had to sit on the chair and hold him....little did I know he was going to lie us BOTH flat, and I had to PIN Sammy to me. Arms crossed over his chest and arms....legs crossed over his legs. He just kept screaming and bucking (boy oh boy is that rugrat STRONG) *flexes muscles* It took everything I had to hold him. Meanwhile he is screaming "mommy mommy mommy..I all done..I all done" Well after 5 minutes of this I am ready to scream and cry with him...I feel like the worlds biggest traitor and my son is looking at me like I just betrayed him (and I really felt I had...to pin him down?? UGH..NEVER AGAIN!!)...well I sit up, and I'm ready to just say...enough..he's scared out of his mind. And guess what they do!?!?! *drum roll please* They KICK ME OUT! They want ME to LEAVE my scared son, with 2 strangers, that are already freaking him out. *insert bad mom again*
So I left. (out into the waiting room, where popo and McKayla were waiting)
And guess what...
the kid stopped crying! ummmmmm....hello Sammy......!?!?What?!
Oh yeah did I forget to mention..when I stepped into the waiting room, I broke down! crying like a baby! LOL Anyway...the nurse comes out to pat my back and reassure me. She lets me peek in on him.....*shakes her head*...the monster is CHARMING the dentist. *rolls her eyes* Anyway all that said and done, his teeth were great..no cavaties, and he got a glow in the dark toothbrush! Thanks Dr Okinawata. *this has nothing to do with my title....read on..*
So...afterward we decide that since Popo also has a dentist appt (diff dentist) we would drop her off and go ride our bikes at the beach. *no rain!! does a dance** We go..and have a blast!!
OK.
Here is where I am reminded to just appreciate what I have, and hug my kids so close!
We get home (after a quick stop at Sam's Club).. It's Sammy's naptime. He wants to sleep at Popo's again...O.k. Well i go home (we live literally 3 doors down) and I am laying on the couch nursing McKayla when i hear crying. no big deal since we have 2 little girls across the hall. Well I continue nursing, assuming that one of the girls is crying because maybe she was scolded or something to that effect. After about 2 minutes of it...I start thinking..."there is no way they would let her scream like that in the hall" So I unlatch McKayla, grab my keys *pretending like I am going to check my mail, so I won't be "nosy"*..and walk out. *deep sigh/breath*..there is a little 1 and half year old boy ALL BY HIMSELF..crying to be let into an apt (the little girls appt) Well....I run up to him, and he comes running to me , I scoop him up (meanwhile holding Mckayla with the other arm) by this time a lady across the hall from the door he was at, opened her door as well......Cliff note: I have seen this little one around (thank GOD)..and I KNEW he didn't belong to the door he was at.
But I had to make sure...(maybe he got locked out, while visiting the little girls and the tv was up..I dont know) So I knock..to be safe. No answer.
Still balancing the both of them..I decide to go to the 7th floor (thats where I had seen his family get off, when i see them in the elevator)..I told the lady across the hall to stay in the hall in case anyone came looking for him. Meanwhile this poor child is screaming his head off..clinging to me *he is normally afraid of EVERYONE*...I rush to the 7th floor..the elevator doors open....NO ONE! I go to the door I think they live at (since it is the one he was standing at on our floor..I am thinking he just got in the elevator and rode it up to us.....then didnt realize he was on a different floor and went to his door)..crying and grabbing the handle to be let in. Well I knock....and knock ..and knock.....*insert panick mode here*..finally I decide I am going to go to the 1st floor to call the building manager. I go to get in the elevator and just as the doors close i hear a wail. I stick my foot in the door to open it (no hands still) and his mom comes rushing at me. I quickly handed him to her *God forbid she thinks I was trying to steal him...lol..but so not funny* And try to explain that he was on my floor and crying. Well as soon as she gets him in her arms she BREAKS DOWN! Starts crying a rocking him. (his older brother, about 4, was just standing there looking around) She explains to me (in broken english, she is japanese) that she left the door open, and he got out. She was looking and looking (for like 20 min) Now that a LONG time if you think about it. Seriously...just sit in one spot for 20 min...its a LOOOOONGGG time. ESPECiALLY when you are panicked and a child is involved.
She was to upset to do much, so I just patted her and the little boy, and showed her my shaking *and I mean BAD* hands. Though I imagine my fear could not even come close to hers!! He was only 1 and a half!....After I left...I went straight to my dad's and grabbed sammy *who, by the way, was still up and jumping on the bed* to hold him tight.
I have a lot.
I forget that sometime.
Thanks for the PRECIOUS reminder!

2 comments:

  1. Kristi,

    Oh my goodness! I think that was definitely a sign to be thankful for what you have! A sign to all of us! It is so easy to complain about what we don't have or what is not the same, but we need to be thankful what we do have that we take for granted. It could so easily be gone. Thank you for your story as a reminder to all of us. I am SO thankful that you found that poor baby! I cannot begin to imagine what that poor mother must have been going through. 20 minutes is a lifetime when you are searching for your child! Good for you for finding the mother and taking care of the baby!

    Big hugs
    Angi

    ReplyDelete
  2. How is it that you always attract missing children? You must be an angel sent from heaven to always be in the right place at the right time.. I am remembering the beach story...:-)

    ReplyDelete